Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Teresa of Avila

Teresa of Avila (1515-1582) was  a Spanish mystic, Carmelite nun and reformer. She led an extraordinary life during the period of the Spanish Inquisition, and was not immune to their pressures. Notwithstanding, she established numerous convents and was a prolific writer.

Teresa's self-described stages of realization are discussed very well at (in the Mysticism section):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_of_Avila
This description of her series of four stages clearly indicates the depth from which she not only wrote but lived.

Her poetry is written from her experience of Divine Love, but, today I have chose two selections which reflect her sense of humor:

LAUGHTER CAME FROM EVERY BRICK

Just these two words He spoke
changed my life.

"Enjoy Me."

What a burden I thought I was to carry -
a crucifix, as did He.

Love once said to me "I know a song,
would you like to hear it?"

And laughter came from every brick in the street
and from every pore
in the sky.

After a night of prayer, He
changed my life when 
He sang.

"Enjoy Me."


NOT YET TICKLED

How did those priests ever get so serious
and preach all that
gloom?

I don't think God
tickled them 
yet.

Beloved - hurry.

trans. Daniel Ladinsky

No comments: